Kilfinan Church dates back to before the Reformation. It houses the Lamont vault where an 11th century cross watches over the interned remains of the clan chiefs.
The Church of St. Finan in Cowal was first recorded in a series of grants and confirmations to the Cluniac Monks of Paisley in the 13th century by Duncan, son of Fecher, and his nephew Laumon, ancestor of the Lamont clan,.
Although it has been altered over the years, the church retains its characteristically ancient look of a long, low and narrow building
In 1633 the Lamont North Aisle and the ground floor burial vault were added. The vault now house the well-preserved Kilfinan Stones dating from the 9th century.
Today, the church is maintained by the Friends of Kilfinan Parish Church, an association of individuals dedicated to preserving, repairing and restoring the fabric of this important building. The association's primary activities involve fund raising, though the members have organised a number of social and educational events. The first of these was a pilgrimage to all the ancient religious sites in the Parish on Sunday, the 8th of August 1999, a well attended event that was repeated in August of 2000. Another pilgrimage took place in the year 2000, this time to Eileach an Naoibh in the Garvellach Islands or Isles of the Sea. This trip involved an outward voyage through the famous whirlpool, the Gulf of Corryvrecken, and a return through the equally dangerous Pass of the Gray Dog.
See the Clan Lamont Newsletter or the Friends of Kilfinan Parish Church web site for details of future events.
Membership of the Association is open to anyone with an interest in the church or the surrounding area. For further details, contact the society,
Secretary, Friends of Kilfinan Parish Church
Kilfinan, Tighnabruaich, Argyll, PA21 2ER
Telephone: 01700 821207
Web Site: http://freespace.virgin.net/sinclair.drumcot/